During your initial intake, we will schedule two separate appointment 45 minute appointment blocks for you and your child. Ideally, this is done back to back.
During the first appointment block:
- We will obtain the consent for treatment
- Confirm your insurance billing information
- Go over issues related to confidentiality with you and your child
- Meet with both of you to discuss your presenting problems
- Interview the parent or parents separately with a semi-structured interview
- This interview will assess for most childhood disorders in the DSM-5
During the second appointment block:
- We will repeat the semi-structured interview with the child
Our general experience is that many times parents are aware of behavior problems that their children are not aware of. Children are often aware of anxiety, depression, or other mood problems that their parents are not aware of.
When we are done with the initial intake, we will provide evidence based recommendations to you to address your child’s presenting problems.
Also see: Child Assessment